Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Ward Clerk
RESPONSIBLE TO: Charge Nurse, Director of Care
The Ward Clerk is responsible for clerical and related duties in all areas of the facility, as directed by the Director of Care. Every employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Ward Clerk serves as a positive role model as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
1. Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
2. Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- Supports vision – demonstrates the ability to support the image of the Home and to embrace the changes that enable the vision.
- Values and goals – demonstrates alignment of values and goals with those of the organization
- Communication – demonstrates well developed communication skills, both verbal and written. Is able to communicate effectively at all levels and in a timely manner
- Demonstrates accountability and integrity – acts with integrity and is accountable for outcomes contributing to the reputation and success of the organization
- Promotes delivery of sensational customer service – champions the delivery of sensational service as it is integral to the reputation and ongoing success of the business
4. Customer Service
- Sensational Service is the top priority
- Illustrates outstanding communication skills
- Maintains a professional manner at all times
- Adheres to hospital policy regarding confidentiality
- Ensures competency in customer service
- Service concerns are addressed in a timely manner
- Motivated and committed team member with excellent communication skills
- Awareness of diverse cultural staff and patient needs
- Plans and implements the clerical needs of the nursing unit in consultation with the Resident Care Coordinator. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Establishes, maintains and updates Residents charts, forms and other related documents.
- Ensures Administrative Assistant receives Notification of Room Change form
- Ensure Residents charts are correctly identified by Name, Physician, Room Number, Allergies and Life Care Directive.
- Ensures charts of Residents who are deceased transferred or discharged are disassembled and forwarded to Administrative Assistant.
- Prepares required photocopies, faxes and operates a variety of office equipment.
- Files all pertinent Resident information on Resident charts and all documents are correctly identified using addressograph.
- Performs a variety of typing assignments which are sometimes confidential in nature; operates a computer, receives and sends emails and other material.
- Prepares blood requisitions, labels, arm band identifications and other requisitions as required.
- Maintains and distributes office supplies.
- Check calendars daily for appointments and makes arrangements as necessary.
- Faxes schedules of Doctors visits to appropriate office.
- Organizes bi-yearly pharmacy re-orders
- Ensure all Residents provincial health and EMO cards are present and current.
- Facilitates/completes the renewal of provincial health cards
- Communicates and maintains information in a timely and organized manner.
- Maintains a visible and accessible profile.
- Communicates to all residents’ families, visitors, and staff in a professional manner.
- Receives and routes telephone calls, greets and directs Resident families and visitors in a professional manner.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times in accordance with policy #1-20-80
7. JOHS (Safety)
- Contributes to a safe work environment by observing all procedures and safe work practices
- Recognize and report any OH&S hazards, incidents and or near misses to Nurse Unit Manager as soon as practicable.
- Completes Hazard Requisitions and ensures appropriate follow-up
- On weekends and holidays responsible for replacing nursing sick call-ins. Absolutely no involvement in scheduling and/or granting of absent, vacation or lieu time.
9. Front Office Reception
- On weekends and holidays, may be required to provide a front-office presence to provide directional assistance to families and visitors
- Competent in using various computer software packages, Excel, Word and Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet to deadlines
- Key team player
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrated professional/positive behavior
- Data entry is accurate
- Excellent customer service orientated with a professional and friendly approach
- Develops and maintains a good working relationship with doctor’s and their secretaries
- Clear precise phone manner to answer front line telephone enquiries
- Display a proactive manner and ability to multi task.
- Minimal grade 12/GED
- Medical Terminology Course
- Basic Computer skills and experience with emails.
- Preferably 2 years previous experience within a LTC or hospital environment