POSITION: Ward Clerk
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Clinical Services
The Ward Clerk is responsible for clerical and related duties in all areas of the facility, as directed by the Director of Clinical Services. Every employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Ward Clerk serves as a positive role model as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- Supports vision – demonstrates the ability to support the image of the Home and to embrace the changes that enable our vision.
- Values and Goals – demonstrates alignment of their values and goals with those of the organization
- Communication – demonstrates well-developed communication skills, both verbal and written. Is able to communicate effectively at all levels and in a timely manner
- Demonstrates accountability and integrity – acts with integrity and is accountable for outcomes contributing to the reputation and success of the organization
- Promotes delivery of excellent service delivery – champions the delivery of sensational service as it is integral to the reputation and ongoing success of the Home
- Diversity – Awareness and respect for the diversity of our resident and staff
- Clerical. Plans and implements the clerical needs of the nursing care areas in consultation with care staff. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Establishes, maintains and updates Residents charts, forms and other related documents.
- Ensures Administrative Assistant receives “Notification of Room Change” form
- Ensure Residents charts are correctly identified by Name, Physician, Room Number, Allergies and Life Care Directive.
- Ensures charts of Residents who are deceased, transferred or discharged are disassembled and forwarded to the Executive Administrative Assistant.
- Prepares required photocopies, faxes and operates a variety of office equipment.
- Files all pertinent Resident information on Resident charts and all documents are correctly identified using the addressograph.
- Receives and sends emails and other material in a confidential manner.
- Prepares blood requisitions, labels, armband identifications and other requisitions as required.
- Maintains and distributes office supplies to all care areas.
- Check calendars daily for appointments and makes arrangements as necessary.
- Faxes schedules of Doctors visits to appropriate office.
- Organizes bi-yearly pharmacy re-orders
- Ensure all Residents provincial health and EMO cards are present and current.
- Facilitates/completes the renewal of provincial health cards
- Communicates and maintains information in a timely and organized manner.
- Communicates to all residents’ families, visitors, and staff in a professional manner.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times in accordance with policy #1-20-80
- JOHS (Safety)
- Contributes to a safe work environment by observing all procedures and safe work practices
- Recognize and report any OH&S hazards, incidents and or near misses to care area licensed staff
- Completes Hazard Requisitions
- On weekends and holidays responsible for replacing nursing sick call-ins.
- Front Office Reception
- On weekends and holidays, may be required to provide a front-office presence to provide directional assistance to families and visitors
- Competencies Required
- Competent in using various computer software packages, Excel, Word and Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet to deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrated professional / positive behavior
- Data entry is accurate
- Excellent customer service orientated with a professional and friendly approach
- Display a proactive manner and ability to multi task.
- Regular and consistent attendance is essential
- Minimal grade 12/GED
- Medical Terminology Course
- Basic Computer skills and experience with emails.
- Preferably 2 years previous experience within a LTC or hospital environment