Thank you for your continued patience as we organize the necessary resources to provide outdoor visitation. Because of the volume of visits and the necessity to ensure we do not have more visitors at one time than we can safely accommodate, all visits will be scheduled through the Recreation Department.
Tuesday and Wednesday, the Substitute Decision Maker in the family (or Next of Kin) will receive a call from RK MacDonald to identify the two primary visitors for the resident. A list will be left with the screeners. To begin, we are asking that two family members be identified as the “in person” visitors. Virtual visits with other family members can continue with those who are not able to visit.
These visits will be organized through the Recreation Department. Because the facility has the responsibility to ensure visits are safe and effective, Visits will be supervised however we will strive to provide privacy to residents and their loved ones.
There are some helpful guidelines attached to assist you with a safe visit.
It is imperative that loved ones understand that social distancing will be strictly enforced. Because of the effect of COVID-19 in Long Term Care, your loved one, the other residents, and the staff, lack of social distancing may result in your loved one being isolated for 14 days after your visit.
As we continue to “open up” and as we learn how best to accommodate visits for residents and their loved ones, we will be more flexible. We are trying to organize equitable access for all residents, either through in person or virtual visits, and as a result, must begin with careful scheduling of visits.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will be in touch tomorrow or Wednesday with families through the Substitute Decision Maker/Next of Kin.
You can begin scheduling visits with Kim MacDonald on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 17, 2020 via email or telephone message: Kim.firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-863-2578 ext 245.
– Michelle Thompson CEO
Outdoor Visits Rules
The RK MacDonald Nursing Home will be implementing an Outdoor visiting approach starting Thursday, June 18th, 2020. Both residents and family have been looking forward to seeing one another again, but we must do this in an organized way to ensure resident safety. All visits are weather permitting; if there is inclement weather iPad or window visits will be offered. We ask for your patience as we organize and learn how best to ensure all residents have access to their loved ones in accordance with the Public Health directives that the facility is mandated to uphold.
Guidelines for All Visitors
- All visits will be scheduled in order to ensure all residents have access to their loved ones.
- Visits will be 20 minutes long
- Visitors must be screened prior to their visit
- All visitors must maintain 6 feet or 2 meters social distancing at all times
- 2 designated visitors are permitted: Chosen by resident or SDM
- 2 visitors come at one time
- If social distancing rules are strictly followed, masks are not required in order to provide better communication
- Please call and cancel visit if
- If you are waiting for results on Covid-19 swab
- You feel unwell in anyway
- You have any symptoms or Covid- 19 or other symptoms
- You have been in contact with anyone being tested for Covid 19
- You have been outside the province in less then 14 days.
- You have been directed to self isolate
Drive thru Visits
- Visits will occur on the front walk way/ front loop
- Visitors will drive in the front loop from Pleasant Street to be screened
- You will be directed to proceed to marked area to park your vehicle
- Resident will be brought out on the walk way and sit under a canopy, minimum of 6 feet or 2 meters from the visitors in the vehicle
- Recreation staff will assist resident under canopy
- Visitors must stay in the car at all times.
- If strict social distancing is maintained masks are not mandatory, you can wear if you wish.
- Social Distancing must be followed at all times and no physical contact of any kind.
- If you bring something for the resident it must be passed to recreation staff and wiped down (Example: coffee).
Cottage Fence Visits and if Drive Thru not possible:
- Visits will occur through the fence.
- Maximum of 2 residents having visits at a time
- Visits must be scheduled to ensure there aren’t too many families visiting at the same time.
- Family must be screened prior to visit – Go to screener near Main Entrance
- Any snacks or treats can be dropped off at the Main Entrance as usual practice
- If strict social distancing is maintained masks are not mandatory, you can wear if you wish. If passing things to staff you must wear a mask
- Social Distancing must be followed at all times and no physical contact of any kind
You can download a copy of these rules here.
Outdoor Visits Guide
Do you have questions regarding the new rules in place for Outdoor Visits with your loved one? We have created this handy brochure to answer many of the most common questions.