Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Rehabilitation Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Walking Stick Rehabilitation Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director Rehabilitation/Clinical Services
: The Rehab Assistant is responsible for implementing rehabilitative strategies for improving residents’ quality of life through the provision of prescribed therapeutic programs, related documentation and communication. All services provided are in accordance with residents’ personal choice and preferences with the aim of achieving excellence in the care and well-being of those living in the RK MacDonald community. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home every person has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Core Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Rehab Assistant, as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- Assists the PT / OT with the assessment of residents to obtain data necessary for treatment planning and implementation.
- Assists in transfer and walking code assessment and posting
- Provides supervision to residents utilizing Walking Stick or Front Porch accessing:
– exercise equipment
– paraffin wax
– hot packs,
– ice packs
– massage table
– TENS units
- Administers treatment plans (exercise class, Front Porch and Walking Stick programs) , as prescribed by the PT / OT with resident’s consent and direction, respecting personal choice and preference including goals and methods to achieve identified goals.
- Co-ordinates treatment plan with residents, and care team, involving family as necessary.
- Monitor resident’s response to interventions and notifies PT / OT of changes in clinical presentation
- Maintenance and cleaning of Red Cross equipment prior to returning to Red Cross
- Transports residents to and from the Walking Stick / Front Porch area
- Participants in monthly safety audit of the Walking Stick and Front Porch
- Participates in safety audits – wheelchairs, mattresses, slings, transfer and mobility codes, roho cushions, mat alarms and rolators
- Tracking and maintenance of Red Cross Specialized Equipment
- Administers staff and student Resident Safe Lifting, Handling and Transfer In-services
- Seeks out, attends and participates in personal and professional education programs.
- Works to create a culture of safety for all
- Provides verbal encouragement and support to any resident to maintain independence,
- Supports interventions designed by other members of the interdisciplinary team
- Documents result of resident’s treatment according to approved format
- Checks and cleans equipment, maintains treatment sand storage areas, orders necessary supplies
- Graduation from a recognized Community College Rehabilitation Assistant Program or recognized OTA or PTA College program
- Basic Medical Terminology
- Has or willingness to obtain safety programs such as WHMIS and CPR
- Minimum of 3 years recent experience in a Long Term Care and/or Community setting
Skills or Competencies
- Ability to foster, demonstrate and maintain good public relations with residents, families, visitors, and the public.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers and other members of the health care team.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned work
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be physically able to perform all aspects of the work.
Other related duties as assigned