Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Human Resource Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE TO: CEO
As a member of the Leadership Team, the Human Resource Coordinator provides the day to day management of the Human Resources department and provides a vital link between the HR department and the leadership team. Reporting to the CEO, the Human Resource Coordinator is responsible for the overall management and delivery of human resource services. The essential functional areas of responsibility includes coordinating the delivery of human resource services including building the Home’s capacity by influencing culture, the need to change, and quality of change through practices that promote positive employee relations and create a work environment that promotes quality of care through employee satisfaction. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Human Resource Coordinator, as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
- Develop and maintain HR policies
- Implement, review/revise Human Resource Policies/Handbook to complement the goals, mission, visions, and strategic plan of the Home and to align with union contracts, Human Rights, and Labor Laws as necessary.
- Review and revise HR policies on an annual basis
- Develop and maintain the HR plan
- In consultation with leadership team, develop a five year HR plan that supports the Strategic Plan of the facility
- Reviews and revises the HR plan on an annual basis
- Fulfill the Employment Functions
- Follows Hiring Process developed by CEO and Directors. Provides the lead of recruiting (advertising, career fairs, college visits, prepares postings), Receive and assist in screening of resumes, assist Directors when requested to set up appointments for interviews, participate on interview panel when required, performs reference checks, and compose award and decline postings and letters.
- Meets with all new hires for signing and gathering of all pertinent information for to complete as new hire i.e. payroll information, certificates, licenses, references, job description, pledge of confidentially and security checks and order name tags.
- Maintain accurate files on awarding of competition of all positions.
- Maintains accurate records reflecting approved LOA/Return to work.
- Ensures all job descriptions are accurate and up to date.
- Assist Directors with development and use of current forms, tracking and recording of completion dates of Employee Performance Appraisals/Yearly signing of Pledge of Confidentiality.
- Participates in setting up of new hire employee orientation.
- Maintains Positive Employee Relations
- Assists Directors in understanding the terms and conditions of Union Contracts (NSNU & UNIFOR).
- Supports positive employee relations in the Home, through listening, redirecting, educating, exit interviews, staff surveys, and education on HR policies,
- Provides data to Directors in the monitoring of Attendance Management.
- Organization of yearly Recognition of Service Awards.
- Confirm employment status for employees for outside relations i.e. Loans and Insurance, etc.
- Provides yearly updates to the Seniority List for all Union Staff
- Provides assistance and direction as needed to Directors in the management of difficult employee behaviors up to and including discipline. Provides confidential background file information and attends disciplinary meetings as requested.
- Participates on the Wellness Committee and conducts wellness surveys yearly with staff to indentify staff wants and needs. Address identifies needs as budget permits.
- Be visible throughout the facility including conducting walk-about couple times a week to gain feedback from staff, residents, and families to assist Leaders in identifying the culture and well-being of the Home.
- Employee Benefits
- Ensures LOA forms as well as other pertinent forms are filed before approved leave i.e. Benefits, Pension, and Record of Employment.
- Coordinates Return to Work of Employees with WCB and LTD (HANS) and the employee’s Director.
- Assists in Employee Retirement in ensuring retirement package provided and processed and provides Exit Interview forms to employees
- Provide employees with information and support on EFAP (Employee and Family Assistance Program), EASE (Employee Assistance & Support for Employees)
- Provides general orientation to new staff.
- Annual in-service printout for employee personnel files.
- Assists in Education training needs i.e., matters pertaining to HR
- Attends training sessions as required
- Maintain Personnel & work related medical records
- Maintain Personnel and Medical files of all employees.
- Insures confidentiality and security of personnel and medical records at all times
- Maintains a strict sign in/out.
- Storage of inactive files as per policies.
- Other Duties as Required – may include Back up for Payroll Processing/ Scheduling Issues. Participates in other duties related to HR or resident care as required.
- Communication: through personal behavior and interactions, will consistently demonstrates a humanistic, affiliative approach to relationships:
- In all interactions, within and while representing the facility
- With all Residents and families
- While establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
- Participates on committees as required
Leadership Competencies Required
- Leading Others as demonstrated by the ability to establish focus, to provide motivational support, fostering teamwork, empowering others.
- Managing Change as indicated by the ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Managing Others as demonstrated by the ability to work with others to coach and mentor them to develop their capabilities
- Managing Performance as demonstrated by ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employee’s performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring feedback and addressing performance issue promptly.
- Communication as demonstrated by the ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed as well as the ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions, in writing and to be able to plan and deliver conversations that have an impact and persuade their intended audience.
- Interpersonal Awareness as demonstrated by the ability to notice, interpret and anticipate others concerns and feelings and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others
- Influence Others as demonstrated by the ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, objectives, projects and solutions
- Building Collaborative relationships as demonstrated by the ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships both internal and external to the facility
- Customer Service Orientation perspective as demonstrated by the respectful, positive manner in which one responds to expressed concerns and the strong desire to find resolution and meet people’s needs
- Information Gathering as demonstrated by the ability to identify information needed to clarify a situation and using skillful questioning to draw out information from reluctant sources
- Thinking abilities including analytical, forward, conceptual and strategic abilities to enable one to tackle a problem, anticipate implications and consequences, find effective solutions and planning for the future direction of the Home
- Initiative to identify what needs to be done and take action before being asked or the situation requires it
- Results oriented to enable one to focus on the desired results, sets challenging goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Thoroughness as demonstrated by ensuring that one’s own work, the work of employees and all information collected and shared is complete and accurate. Ensuring that commitments are fulfilled
- Decisiveness as demonstrated by the ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
- Self Confidence
- Stress management
- Personal Credibility
Departmental Competencies & Skills:
- General knowledge of Employment Law, Human Rights, WCB Act, Safety (Occupational Health and Safety Act)
- Excels in organizational abilities
- Ability to lead, develop and coach
- Experience in Benefits, WCB Claims, Payroll an asset
- Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows, Data Management, Record Keeping, Statistical recording.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work as a member of a Team as well as an ability to work independently
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Human Resources and/or Business Organizational Development.
- Human resource related education an asset
- Minimum 3yrs Senior Management experience
- Experience in the personnel/human resource field an asset
- Familiar with Union Contracts an asset