Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Heavy Duty Worker (Laundry)/Washer Person
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Environmental & Food Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental& Food Services, the Heavy Duty Worker (Laundry)/Washer Person is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the heavy laundry equipment in the cleaning of all types of linens, clothes, etc. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Supervisor serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- To promote and maintain the safety of residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Department meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in training of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge of the safe use of all department equipment.
- Report necessary repairs to Director or Supervisor.
- Assist Director or Supervisor in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-services, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Pick up and sort soiled linen from all units and take to laundry area
- Collect and sort all Resident clothes.
- Operate washers and dryers.
- Responsible for supply list on weekly basis.
- Remove waste from soiled linen area.
- Remove lint from dryers every day.
- Mops floors in Laundry area daily.
- Fills and empties washers.
- Knowledgeable of the safe use of equipment and cleaning chemicals used in the laundry.
- Know the location of switches to shut down laundry equipment in emergency situations.
- Knowledgeable in the proper and safe cleaning of various materials/fabrics.
- Cleans isolation wash by following necessary guidelines.
- Cleans items such as bedspreads, pillows, comforters, curtains as needed.
- Be familiar with Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Annual in-servicing of WHMIS and Emergency Plan (Fire).
- Perform other related duties as required by the Director or Supervisor.
Education, Training and Experience
Good physical health, ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks.
Grade 12 Education, experience in laundry preferred, but not required.