Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: General Worker (Laundry), Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Support Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Support Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, the General Worker (Laundry) – Supervisor assists the Director of Environmental Services in the day to day supervision of staff, including assignment of staff and the arranging for replacement when required. Under the direction of the Director, the supervisor co-ordinates and support all relevant activities of Environmental Services. When required, the Supervisor provides general housekeeping &/or laundry services to maintain a clean, sanitary, comfortable and tidy environment for the Home. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Supervisor serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- To promote and maintain the safety of Residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Department meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in training of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge of the safe use of all department equipment.
- Report necessary repairs to Director.
- Assist Director in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-services, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Familiar with Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Annual in-servicing of WHMIS and Emergency Plan (Fire).
- Perform other related duties as requested by Director.
- Scheduling of staff.
- Room checks – Day to Day with staff.
- Sick call-ins, replacements.
- Order & deliver supplies – housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, nursing
- Attend committee meetings.
- Complete Day to Day purchase orders.
- Housekeeping checklists on a monthly review.
- Laundry – linen count when needed.
- Keep all forms updated, WHMIS, supply lists, etc.
- Listen to family/staff concerns.
- Supervise staff of Environmental Services.
Education, Training, and Experience
Good physical health (physical stamina and mobility including ability to reach, kneel and bend; ability to lift, push and pull required load (usually about 30lbs)
Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks, and ability to work in a warm congested area.
Grade 12 Education, minimum 2-5 years experience in housekeeping and laundry in a health care facility. Experience in supervision in a health care facility preferred but not required.
- attention to detail
- customer focus
- listening skills
- planning and organizing
- team work
- high energy levels