Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: General Worker (Janitor)
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Environmental & Food Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental & Food Services, the General Worker (Janitor) provides janitorial duties for the facility. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the General Worker (Janitor) serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understand that the Residents/Families are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Core Values and Philosophy of resident Centered Care of the RK MacDonald Nursing Home.
- To promote and maintain the safety of Residents, staff and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Departmental meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in orientation of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge and practice the safe use of all department equipment.
- Report necessary home/equipment related repairs to Department Manager or Supervisor.
- Assist Director or Supervisor in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-service, workshops, seminars, etc.
- General cleaning of specific areas as assigned by the Director or Supervisor.
- Sweep, wash, buff, burnish and wax floors as per established procedure.
- Assist with loading washers & dryers in the Laundry Department to start shift.
- Do Laundry and Garbage runs at beginning of shift.
- Assist in keeping walkways clear of debrie, litter, snow, etc.
- Collect waste and clean containers as per established procedure inside and outside of building.
- Vacuum floor mats on a daily basis.
- Clean ceilings, walls, windows, lights shades, wheel chairs, vents, sprinklers, etc as per established procedures.
- Assist in the transportation or removal of furniture or equipment as necessary.
- Current certification in Confined Spaces and Transportation of Dangerous Goods, NVCJ.
- Maintains storage in Shed and Resident storage.
- Assist with the ground care; mowing lawns, wiper snipping, watering lawns, at R.K. and Ant. Manor
- Familiar with Departmental Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Annually assess or attend required in-service training for staff provided on-site and via on-line Surge Learning tool provided by the RK.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director or Supervisor.
Education, Training, Experience
Must have a valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License.
Good physical health, ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks, and ability to work in a warm congested area.
Grade 12 Education. Must have a good working knowledge of janitorial and floor care.