Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: General Worker (Housekeeping)
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Environmental & Food Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, the General Worker provides general housekeeping services to maintain a clean, sanitary, comfortable and tidy environment for the Home. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the General Worker serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- To promote and maintain the safety of Residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Department meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in training of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge of the safe use of all department equipment.
- Report necessary repairs to Director of ES or Supervisor.
- Assist Director or Supervisor in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-services, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Participates with multidisciplinary meetings for residents in their working unit.
- General cleaning of specific areas such as Resident rooms, washrooms,common areas.dining rooms,hallways and offices.
- Dry and damp mop floors and vacuum carpets.
- Wash and dust beds, furnishings, utensils, and equipment as per established procedures.
- Waste collection in all areas of home or Manor.
- Clean elevators, doors, walls, and floors.
- Houseclean all rooms and do high dusting with use of a ladder.
- Knowledge of how to operate all housekeeping equipment, i.e., auto scrubber, side-to-side, and other related equipment.
- Replenish supplies in the work area on a weekly basis.
- Keep janitor closets clean and tidy.
- Use proper care when using all department equipment and keep clean.
- When a Resident is deceased or discharged – responsible to pack and label all of the Residents’ belongings for family pick up. The room then is given a final cleaning in preparation for a new admission.
- Deliver all Residents personal clothing daily
- Cleans isolation rooms as per guidelines.
- Familiar with Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Annual in-servicing on WHMIS and Emergency Plan (Fire).
- Perform other related duties as required by the Director or Supervisor.
- Assist in the transportation or removal of furniture or equipment as necessary.
- Keep walkways clean from litter, snow, etc. (R.K. & Manor).
- Transport laundry and Lab work to St. Martha’s Hospital twice daily and provide other transportation and pickup services as requested with Nursing Home vehicle.
Education, Training, and Experience
Good physical health (physical stamina and mobility including ability to reach, kneel and bend; ability to lift, push and pull required load (usually about 30lbs)
Ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks.
Grade 12 Education, experience in housekeeping or laundry preferred, but not required.
- Attention to detail
- Customer focus
- Listening skills
- Planning and organizing
- Team work
- High energy levels