Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Director of Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteers
DEPARTMENT: Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteers
RESPONSIBLE TO: CEO
As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director of Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer Services provides the day to day management of the Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer services operation and its personnel and provides a vital link between the department, its personnel, and the leadership team. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer Services is responsible for the overall management and delivery of services of the department. The essential functional areas of responsibility include providing Recreation/Leisure, Spiritual, and Volunteer Programming opportunities for the Residents, leading, encouraging, and supporting staff and volunteers in the delivery of these programs and opportunities utilizing their strengths and expertise. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Director of Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer Services, as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
1. Effectively manage the Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer Services departmental budget ensuring that the annual budget is not exceeded.
- Monthly review and analysis of financial data
- Identify and investigate variances and implement corrective actions
- Oversee completion of departmental payroll
- Purchasing of departmental supplies
2. Coordinate the provision of Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer departmental services that are Resident centered and that support and reflect the Mission, Vision and Values of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home.
- Provide Recreation/Leisure/Spiritual, & Volunteer programs and opportunities for the Residents which allows for engagement with their own Home, their R.K. Community, and maintain contact with the larger community.
- The Director develops, updates departmental policies and procedures respecting the Philosophy of Care of the Home.
- Develops annual and long-term goals and objectives for the department.
- Promote positive relationships with all the departments and with the local community.
- Maintains a co-operative team approach within the department and with other Departments in the organization.
- Assists with maintaining and updating Resident profiles.
- Assists the Recreation Programmers with the Programming where possible.
- Participates in Multi-Disciplinary conferences for the Residents in the absence of the Recreation Programmers.
- Participates in Resident/Management Meetings when necessary.
- Co-ordinates the Volunteer Program including the selection, screening, placement, orientation, training, support, and recognition of Volunteers.
- Develops programs and organize Volunteers to enhance the programs offered to the Residents.
- Represents the Home by attending necessary meetings, seminars, and professional associations that are relevant to Recreation and Volunteerism.
- Responsible for equipment utilized by the Recreation Department.
- Actively research and explore new programming options to meet the needs of the Residents.
- Develops, reviews and updates departmental job descriptions on an annual basis.
- Participation and membership in Nova Scotia Recreation Professionals in Health Association.
3. Effectively manage the human services within the Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer department.
- Lead, encourage, and support staff in the delivery of Recreation/Leisure, Spiritual, & Volunteer programs.
- Interviewing and hiring of new departmental staff.
- Coordination, orientation, and training of departmental staff.
- Supervise and review performance of all departmental staff.
- Scheduling of staff to reflect the programming needs and priorities of the Residents.
- Plan, conduct, and participate in departmental meetings.
- Responsible for the development of job descriptions for recreation staff.
- Assignment of departmental staff duties and scheduling.
- Assume responsibilities for student placements.
- Coaching, mentoring and empowering staff
4. Direct the Volunteer program and provide a positive experience for both the Resident and the Volunteers.
- Selection, screening, placement, training, support, and recognition of Volunteers.
- Provided to enhance Programming.
5. Support Spiritual Care Staff serving the spiritual and religious needs of the Residents in this Home, their families, and the staff, with respect for their faith traditions and the dignity of their persons.
6. Ensure the orientation and ongoing education of departmental staff including development and continuing education.
- Promote staff engagement in professional development and lifelong learning activities.
- Ensure all staff participate in safety training
7. Accountable for the Safety and risk management of the Recreation, Spiritual, & Volunteer department
8. Communication: Through personal behaviour and interactions, will consistently demonstrate a humanistic, affiliative approach to relationships.
- In all interactions, within and while representing the facility.
- With all Residents & families.
- While establishing and maintaining co-operative working relationships.
9. Continuous Quality Initiatives
- Actively research and explore new programming options to meet the needs of the residents.
- Ensure ongoing, active development, and involvement in the Home’s CQI initiatives.
- Maintains visibility through the facility including walkabouts to gain feedback from staff, residents, and families to assist Leaders in identifying the culture and well-being of the Home.
10. Participates in Committees/teams as required
- Responsible to attend Senior Leadership Meetings and other committee meetings as appointed by the CEO.
11. Leadership Role
- Active participant on leadership team
- Demonstrates integration of Mission, Vision & Values into practice
- Participates in annual strategic planning and review
Leadership Competencies Required
- Leading Others as demonstrated by the ability to establish focus, to provide motivational support, fostering teamwork, empowering others.
- Managing Change as indicated by the ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Managing Others as demonstrated by the ability to work with others to coach and mentor them to develop their capabilities
- Managing Performance as demonstrated by ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employee’s performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring feedback and addressing performance issue promptly.
- Communication as demonstrated by the ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed as well as the ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions, in writing and to be able to plan and deliver conversations that have an impact and persuade their intended audience.
- Interpersonal Awareness as demonstrated by the ability to notice, interpret and anticipate others concerns and feelings and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others
- Influence Others as demonstrated by the ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, objectives, projects and solutions
- Building Collaborative relationships as demonstrated by the ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships both internal and external to the facility
- Customer Service Orientation perspective as demonstrated by the respectful, positive manner in which one responds to expressed concerns and the strong desire to find resolution and meet people’s needs
- Information Gathering as demonstrated by the ability to identify information needed to clarify a situation and using skillful questioning to draw out information from reluctant sources
- Thinking abilities including analytical, forward, conceptual and strategic abilities to enable one to tackle a problem, anticipate implications and consequences, find effective solutions and planning for the future direction of the Home
- Initiative to identify what needs to be done and take action before being asked or the situation requires it
- Results oriented to enable one to focus on the desired results, sets challenging goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Thoroughness as demonstrated by ensuring that one’s own work, the work of employees and all information collected and shared is complete and accurate. Ensuring that commitments are fulfilled
- Decisiveness as demonstrated by the ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
- Self Confidence
- Stress management
- Personal Credibility
Departmental Competencies & Skills:
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as ability to work independently
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows, Word, QHR & Microsoft Publisher
- Organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Supervisory Skills
- Baccalaureate Degree in the Social Sciences or Recreation
- 3-5 years Senior Management experience in the health care/geriatric field.