Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Custodial Attendant Care
RESPONSIBLE TO: RN – Charge Nurse, RN/LPN, DCS
Scope of Position: The Custodial Attendant Care assists in providing non-nursing observation and supervision. They assist in the creation of a safe environment for residents. As a non-unionized employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, every staff member has a responsibility to be involved in providing a caring environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Custodial Attendant serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
- To provide safe non-nursing supervision as directed by the Charge Nurse or RN/LPN supervisor.
- Depending on the need, Custodians may be assigned to more than one resident based on the needs of the care area and the activities of the residents
- Assisting to settle and redirect assigned residents to and from their own room and between care areas
Skills & Competencies
- Must be comfortable with and confident in assisting with behavioral issues
- Capable of managing stressful situations
- Ability to foster relationships
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with families and all members of the care team
- Ability to handle physically demanding work
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills
- Ability to work shift work
- Maintains confidentiality
Major Job Functions
- Report to the Team Lead RN or Senior LPN at the beginning and end of your shift.
- Secure resident specific direction from the Nursing staff – during resting periods or when the resident(s) is out of the building, Charge RN may reassign the Custodian to another resident or participate in light housekeeping or other tasks within the Custodian’s abilities
- Breaks are to be arranged with the nursing staff
- Completes the CUSTODIAL HOURLY CHECKS FORM
- Custodians will be placed with a resident(s) were capability has been established
- Offer companionship (observation / supervision), physical assistance (for example assisting with a transfer or escorting a resident to another area) and continual observation aimed at maintaining safety and preventing injury.
- Does not provide, participate in, or discuss any direct care related to the resident. Family discussion and/or conversations related to condition or care of the resident are to be redirected to the Team Lead RN or Senior LPN
- Notifies nursing staff prior to leaving the care area with the resident
- Communicate resident behaviors &/or concerns regularly with Nursing Staff .
- Under the direction of the Charge Nurse or RN/LPN supervisor follows RK MacDonald policies and procedures in relation to the resident’s care plan.
- Any documentation related to the resident will only be done on specific instructions of the Charge Nurse or RN/LPN supervisor.
- No personal &/or family notes are to be recorded at any time.
- Ability to read and write at grade 10 level
- Training/experience caring for persons with dementia &/or challenging behaviors would
- Training in personal safety techniques and basic principles of behavior management