Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Chief Executive Officer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Board of Directors
The Chief Executive Officer is accountable and responsible to the Board of Directors for the efficient and effective operation of the R.K MacDonald Nursing Home. The Chief Executive Officer will be responsible to manage all activities of the Nursing Home subject to the mission, strategic plan, policies, legal regulations, licensing requirements, budget, and accreditation standards and ensure compliance with the Eden Alternative.
Stewardship with the Board:
- Maintains an open dialogue with the board chairperson to ensure the Board is aware of major developments and issues that affect the home through regular reports and attendance at Board meetings. As well as reporting as soon as possible any adverse incidents to the Board that represent risk exposure.
- The CEO is an ex-officio member of all Committees of the Board.
- Participate with the Board in establishing the strategic plan for the home based upon identified needs and trends.
- Ensure risks are managed by ensuring proper liability and insurance protection; compliance with regulations; implementing recommendations from inspection, licensing, and accreditation reports;
- Maintain a safe environment for staff, residents, volunteers and the public
- Assist Board proceedings and deliberations by providing timely and the necessary support, information and advice designed to facilitate its decision-making process and activities.
- Represents the interest of the Corporation in Board approved Regional and Provincial Industry Associations.
- Provides secretarial support to the Board.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Effectively manage the Corporations finances, including the preparation of annual Operating and Capital budgets showing planned revenue and expenditures, and funding proposals.
- Develop and sell business plans to the funders which address areas of underfunding and access all available resources to ensure sustainability
- Ensure a system of responsible accounting, including budget and internal controls.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of accounting principals
- Implementation of the Board’s direction on strategic plans programs, services and special projects.
- Provide an Operating Plan setting out goals and objectives.
- Articulate, promote and practice the Vision, Mission and Values of the Corporation
- Promote and maintain the safety of resident, staff and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Manages all activities of the Nursing Home subject to the mission, strategic plan, policies, legal regulations, licensing requirements, budget, and accreditation standards.
- Ensure a continuous quality improvement (CQI) process is in place that is consistent with the mission and strategic direction of the home.
- Represents the Corporation in partnership discussions with agencies and like organizations in accordance with Board policy and government direction.
- Build new partnerships throughout Nova Scotia, establishing alliances and partnerships which are of benefit to the organizations residents.
- Promote and establish strategic community alliances and partnerships which are of benefit to the organization’s residents.
- Support senior managers participation in establishing and maintaining community alliances
- Advocate on behalf of the Corporation and its residents to ensure needs and interests are taken into account by decision-makers and the public.
- Act, when necessary, as spokesperson for the Corporation
- Participate in local, regional, and provincial continuing care meetings to provide input and to keep abreast of changes that will have an impact on the home.
- Promote community awareness of the home through effective public relations.
Leadership and Management:
- Ensure that the Corporation complies with all governing bodies, acts, and regulations, as well as contractual agreements with other organizations.
- Ensure that the residents receive a level of care consistent with our values and the standards of care approved by the Board and as prescribed by the Eden Alternative
- Oversee and provide guidance of the planning and implementing of programs and activities which provide social, educational, vocational, spiritual and recreational opportunities for the residents.
- Lead, coach, and oversee the development of staff in conjunction with the implementation and administration of the collective agreement and the administration for management and non-union staff. Encourage and where possible, provide for formal and informal continuing education for all personnel.
- Meets regularly with management and staff to facilitate effective communication of organization policies and decisions and to provide a forum for an exchange and sharing of information on issues related to short and long term planning for the organization. As well provide leadership and direction to managers, staff, residents and their families.
- Promote positive work practices and inclusiveness in relations with the Board, staff, volunteers and the community in order to ensure the efficient and optimal use of all organizational resources. This includes ensuring the efficient and effective use of resources through review, restructuring, and reallocation as necessary.
- Take initiative and provide leadership to drive a positive effective cultural change
- Delegate functions and establish formal lines of communication and accountability through an appropriate organizational structure.
- Delegate responsibilities to Department Directors where appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate departmental and interdepartmental committees and meetings are in place to facilitate completion of tasks that are assigned or delegated.
- Ensure appropriate job descriptions are in place and kept up to date.
- Ensure a performance appraisal process is in place for all staff.
- Ensure policies and practices are in place that support resident care and provides for their safety and well-being.
- Negotiate labour contracts and ensure practices are in place that supports fair labour relations.
- Ensure that an emergency plan is in place and exercised as per licensing requirements so that the home is prepared to respond to fire and other emergencies in the home or community.
- Practice an inclusive style leadership which highlights practices of listening, observing, auditing, self-awareness, social awareness, and emotional management.
- Ability and experience in working with a volunteer Board of Directors.
- Proven ability in managing human and financial resources.
- Excellent negotiation, leadership, interpersonal, conflict resolution, decision making, problem solving, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain partnerships to enhance the Corporations Mission, Vision and Values.
- Ability to make sound, ethical, effective business decisions engaging others for expertise input.
- Demonstrated skills in planning at the strategic and operational levels.
- Operates with a realistic, level headed, calming, and rational approach.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibit Vision and Passion for our residents.
- Demonstrated ability to positively build teams and engage staff.
- Ability to effectively delegate and multitask.
- Proven track record of continuous quality improvement initiatives.
- Engaging with family members of our residents promoting their involvement in care.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in senior management roles in the health care sector.
- Senior Administration in Long Term Care is preferred.
- Proven success in public policy, administration, human resources and financial management
- Experience in working within a unionized environment
- Knowledge of the healthcare sector in Nova Scotia would be considered an asset
- University degree in Health or Health related field is preferred or a degree in Business Administration would be considered.
- Masters in Health related field is preferred.
- Extensive clinical experience would be considered an asset.