Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here. This is a non-union position (Mgmt.).
POSITION: Assistant Director of Clinical Services
DEPARTMENT: Nursing and Rehabilitation Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Clinical Services
Reporting to the Director of Clinical Services, the Assistant Director of Clinical Services (ADCL) is a key member of the leadership team. Responsibilities include the day to day management and integration of resident care services throughout the organization in collaboration with the Director of Clinical Services and Supervising RN.
The essential areas of responsibility include creating and fostering an environment of clinical excellence, innovation, enthusiasm and professional growth. The ADCS shows initiative and flexibility, has a strong commitment to the maintenance of the health and quality of life of the residents, demonstrates principle-based decision making, leads a cooperative work environment and has an ability to organize time and resources effectively. The ADCS assists the Director of Clinical Services in assessing the effectiveness of clinical programs and activities on the basis of quality outcomes and alignment with best practices.
Functions and Responsibilities
- To promote and maintain the safety of residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times
- Assists in the planning, developing, organizing, implementing, directing and evaluating Continuous Quality Initiatives in the nursing department.
- Role models our core values in carrying out the philosophy, objectives, policies, and standards for resident care and related nursing services.
- Works with Sr. Leaders (Directors) and clinical service providers to ensure adherence with Long Term Care Program requirements.
- Leads the new resident admission process.
- Supports the Supervising RN’s / RRN’s in ensuring best practices are employed in addressing changes in resident conditions or behaviors [PIECES Model].
- Coordinates the department functions with all other departments and services of the Home.
- Consults and advises the Director of Clinical Services on concerns related to the Nursing Department and the Home.
- Assists the Director of Clinical Services in the recruiting, hiring, performance appraisal, coaching and progressive disciplinary process of the nursing staff.
- Promotes and maintains harmonious relationships among nursing personnel and with physicians, residents, families and the public.
- Plans, evaluates and directs orientation and educational training for all nursing staff. This would include the promotion of geriatric studies / certification opportunities and RN Premiums.
- Assists the Director of Clinical Services are in preparation of Annual Budget, and in tracking and analyzing monthly variances.
- Assumes responsibilities in the absence of the Director of Clinical Services.
- Willingness to pursue self-directed ongoing education and best practices in Continuing Care and Management.
- Participates in Union/Management discussions.
- Participates in the attendance support program.
- Participation on committees as required by the Director of Clinical Services.
- Assumes responsibility for Infection Control for the facility. Works with staff, Department Directors and Department of Health and Wellness in the development, updates, and annual education and implementation of an Infection Control Program.
- Responsible for carrying out other duties as may be required by the Assistant Director under the Homes for Special Care Act, Home’s by-laws and as determined by the Director of Clinical Services and/or CEO.
Leadership Competencies Required
- Leading Others as demonstrated by the ability to establish focus, to provide motivational support, fostering teamwork, empowering others.
- Managing Change as indicated by the ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Managing Performance as demonstrated by ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employee’s performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring feedback and addressing performance issue promptly.
- Communication as demonstrated by the ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed as well as the ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions, in writing and to be able to plan and deliver conversations that have an impact and persuade their intended audience.
- Interpersonal Awareness as demonstrated by the ability to notice, interpret and anticipate others concerns and feelings and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others
- Influence Others as demonstrated by the ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, objectives, projects and solutions
- Building Collaborative relationships as demonstrated by the ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships both internal and external to the facility
- Customer Service Orientation perspective as demonstrated by the respectful, positive manner in which one responds to expressed concerns and the strong desire to find resolution and meet people’s needs
- Information Gathering as demonstrated by the ability to identify information needed to clarify a situation and using skillful questioning to draw out information from reluctant sources
- Thinking abilities including analytical, forward, conceptual and strategic abilities to enable one to tackle a problem, anticipate implications and consequences, find effective solutions and planning for the future direction of the Home
- Initiative to identify what needs to be done and take action before being asked or the situation requires it
- Results oriented to enable one to focus on the desired results, sets challenging goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Thoroughness as demonstrated by ensuring that one’s own work, the work of employees and all information collected and shared is complete and accurate. Ensuring that commitments are fulfilled
- Decisiveness as demonstrated by the ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
- Self Confidence
- Stress management
- Personal Credibility
Position Specific Competencies
- Clinical practice knowledge
- Delivery models/designs knowledge
- Safe practice initiatives
- Quality improvement Initiatives
- Risk management theory & practice
- Sound understanding of Ethical practice
- Consistently acts as a role model for advocacy
- Sound understanding of Union Contracts & Negotiations
- Possess the person centered qualities and attitudes that respect the spirit, dignity and individuality of the Resident/resident and their family
- Understands and is able to integrate a philosophy of person centered care into the daily operations of the nursing department
- Able to supervise staff including the ability to mentor, coach and empower staff
- A working knowledge of budgeting
- Able to work independently and as part of the Leadership Team
Educational & Experience Qualifications
- BSc Nursing Required
- Licensed with CRNNS
- Previous demonstrated leadership experience required
- Demonstrated experience with Accreditation and Quality Initiatives
- Excellent Computer Skills [Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook]
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Conflict Management / Resolution Training an asset [or willing to be trained]
- SAFER Leadership Certificate an asset
- I.E.C.E.S. Certificate
- Teepa Snow Training or Gentle Persuasive Approach training an asset
- WHMIS, PIPC and PHIA training an asset