Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Accounting Clerk
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Finance
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Clerk supports the functions of the Finance Department. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home every person has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Accounting Clerk serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
1. Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
2. Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
3. Accounts Payable Functions & responsibilities
- If not submitted, obtain invoices from departments
- Match invoices from vendors packing slips
- Once packing slips have been matched, verifies pricing. If incorrect, follow up with signing person
- Verifies financial information (math) on invoices
- Record each vendors number for submission to ACC/PAC system
- Enter invoice into ACC/PAC
- Record total amount for G/L as well as recoverable tax
- Issues manual cheque as needed
- When issuing manual cheques recoverable tax will need to be manually calculated and manually entered into ACC/PAC
4. Payroll function & responsibilities
- Maintenance accurate ledger of employees in QHR system (new employees, terminations etc) to QHR
- Responsible to enter employee changes into payroll system (position, rate, dept etc)
- Time card verification
- Process payroll
- Generate pay statements
- Process EFT
- Required to place all pay stubs in a sealed envelope and distribute to departments prior to 10 am on bi-weekly payday
- Issues records of employment as required
- Bi-weekly, provide Director of Finance with spreadsheet detailing recent changes in employee status including new hires, employees off work, position changes & return to work
- Manage eligibility and application for pension enrollment for new employees
- Facilitate requested changes to benefit coverage, including upon termination
- Information package/meeting with employees contemplating retirement
- Submit required pension forms
6. WCB Claims
- File online WCB form as required
- Balance operating cash with receipt book
- Prepare and deposit cask in bank on a weekly basis
- Manage cash flow for petty cash (Issue petty cash cheque, cash & replenish)
- Balance safe keeping cask
- Obtain cheque from accounts receivable, cash to replenish safe keeping level
8. Submits Records of Employment for employees as required
9. Responsible for the Canada Savings Bond Campaign
10. Membership on committees as designated.
11. Other clerical duties as assigned.
- Provide assistance with Accounts receivable
- Issue safe keeping monies to residents
- Receipt monies coming into operation
- Issue safe keeping cheque
- Meet with new families regarding finance
- Provide coverage to front office
- Sort mail daily
- Daily booking for Care Van
- Monitor answering machine
Education Required, Training and Experience
Graduate from a recognized College business or administrative assistant program that included courses in basic accounting or book keeping
Job related Skills & Competencies:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Ability to communicate effectively with residents, visitors, and staff.
- Ability to work appropriately and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidential integrity around confidential information.
- Ability to provide accuracy and detail in work performance.
- Ability to use appropriate and effective judgment
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem solving situations.