Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: General Worker Maintenance Worker
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Environmental & Food Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental &Food Services, the Maintenance Worker provides the general maintenance and repair for the facility. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Maintenance Worker serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understand that the Residents/Families are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Core Values and our Philosophy of Resident Centered Care of the RK MacDonald Nursing Home.
- To promote and maintain the safety of Residents, staff and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Departmental meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in orientation of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge & practice of the safe use and care of all department equipment as per established procedure.
- Report necessary home/equipment repairs to Department Manager or Supervisor.
- Assist Director or Supervisor in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-service, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Complete assigned duties that pertain to the successful completion of a yearly Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Maintains all systems and auxiliary equipment such as boilers, generators, motors, ventilation, oxygen, hot water tanks, etc. thru Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Perform carpentry duties as deemed necessary by the Director and use of equipment; i.e. table saw, skill saw.
- Perform work around walk-in freezers and fridges in the building.
- Ability to hook up resident’s phone lines and cable in rooms.
- Complete all necessary repairs and follow up as assigned by Director or Supervisor through written repair/hazard requisitions, supply requisitions, or replacement parts for equipment as needed.
- Ability to perform various plumbing duties such as pipe replacement, valve replacement, toilet and sink replacement, replacing drain lines, etc.
- Keep walkways clear from litter/debris, snow, etc. (R.K. & Ant. Manor).
- Transport Lab work to St. Martha’s Regional Hospital and provide other transportation and pickup services as requested with Nursing Home vehicle.
- Conduct or assist with Fire Drills/ Mock Exercises of Emergency Codes as per Director’s request.
- Paint areas of the home upon request.
- Current certification in Confined Space and Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and NCVI.
- Maintains storage in shed and resident storage.
- Set up and store outdoor furniture.
- Snow removal and salt maintenance in all areas for the R.K. & Antigonish Manor via shovel (manual) and facility tractor.
- On call for maintenance through use of cell phone
- Familiar with Departmental Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Access or attend required in-service training for staff provided on-site & via on-line Surge Learning tool provided by the RK.
- Keep Fire Protection Maintenance Log up to date.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Director or Supervisor.
Education, Training, Experience
Must have a valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License.
Good physical health, ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks, and ability to work in a warm congested area, ability to operate and run computerized maintenance monitoring system (Honeywell). Must be willing to be on call for maintenance issues after hours. Grade 12 Education.
Experience in some of the following trades; plumbing, carpentry, painting, boiler maintenance, refrigeration, electronics, and phone and cable hook up with a recognized employer. Any certificates in these areas considered an asset. Minimum 2-5 years’ experience in a large building complex required.