Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Food Services Aide
DEPARTMENT: Food Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Food Services Director
Under the direction of the Food Services Director, the Food Services Aide supports the delivery of quality food services to the Residents of the Home. As an employee of the RK MacDonald Nursing Home, every person has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Food Services Aide serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- To promote and maintain the safety of residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Prepare resident trays in an attractive manner and in accordance to dietary orders.
- Sets up-delivers meal cart(s) and resident trays to the unit dining areas in accordance to the rules of decentralized dining.
- Meal service of the residents: setting the tables for the breakfast, dinner, and supper meals; service of the meal(s) in a pleasant, efficient, and courteous manner; clearing and re-setting of the resident tables; directed sanitation duties in the respective dining areas.
- Cleans and sanitizes dishes and cutlery used by residents, staff, visitors, catering personnel and the activity department.
- Pot sink duty, as required and directed.
- Cleans and sanitizes tables, kitchen equipment, serving line, carts, and counters by: using proper cleaning equipment, procedures, and cleaning solutions. Follows daily cleaning list.
- Spot clean/sanitize designated areas of the utility room and main kitchen, as outlined in the job specifications.
- Keeps fridges and storage areas tidy and clean by removing all empty boxes and clutter, and disposing of the same in the appropriate manner. Mop up spills, as required.
- Daily meal offerings to be posted on menu boards.
- Deliver nourishments and supplies to nursing units and place in appropriate fridges and cupboards.
- Deliver night lunches to nursing units daily for distribution to residents.
- Must be familiar with Departmental Policies and Procedures Manual, WHMIS and EMO.
- Attend annual in services for WHMIS, Fire Safety; re-certify Food Handlers certification and Firs Aid/CPR as required.
- Perform additional related duties as outlined by Director of Food Services or delegate.
Education, Training and Experience
The work requires reading, writing, speaking and understanding English, sound comprehension and judgment. The work requires understanding and following simple work procedures. Work procedures are straight forward and are normally learned from demonstrations and from on-the-job experienced co-workers. Minimum education level Grade 12. Must have Food Handlers course or be willing to obtain the same shortly after employment begins and upgrade every 5 years.
The work requires portioning and serving meals to residents and staff members. Making sure residents receive proper diets.
The work requires walking and standing, pushing food carts loaded with food, carrying dishes and trays, cleaning dishes and equipment. The incumbent is required to lift up to 50 pounds without the assistance of another person.
The job requires no supervision of staff.
The work requires reliability, adaptability, effective interpersonal relations, ability to work under pressure and good personal hygiene and neatness.