Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: General Worker (Maintenance/Janitor)
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Environmental Services
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, the General Worker (Maintenance/Janitor) provides the general maintenance, repair and janitorial duties for the facility. As an employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home, he/she has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the General Worker (maintenance/janitor) serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Understands that the Resident and family are central to all departmental activities, services and decisions
- Establishes and maintains working relationships and performs all work in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values and philosophy of resident centered care of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home
- To promote and maintain the safety of Residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority for the home at all times.
- Work as a team with other departments in the Home.
- Attend monthly Department meetings and serve on other committees as required.
- Assist in training of new staff.
- Ability to organize and complete assigned workloads.
- Work under constant interruptions in daily work routines.
- Knowledge of the safe use of all department equipment.
- Report necessary repairs to Department Manager or Supervisor.
- Assist Director or Supervisor in evaluating new equipment and chemical products.
- Attend and participate in education in-services, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Complete assigned duties that pertain to the successful completion of a yearly Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Complete all necessary repairs and follow up as assigned by Director or Supervisor through requests and repair requisitions and requisitions supplies or replacement parts and equipment as needed.
- General cleaning of specific areas assigned by the Director or Supervisor.
- Sweep, wash, buff, burnish, and wax floors as per established procedure.
- Use and care of equipment as per established procedure.
- Collect waste and clean containers as per established procedure.
- Ability to perform various plumbing duties such as pipe replacement, valve replacement, toilet and sink replacement, replacing drain lines, etc.
- Vacuum floor mats on a daily basis.
- Clean ceilings, walls, windows, light shades, wheelchairs, vents, sprinklers, etc as per established procedures.
- House clean resident rooms, common areas, etc.
- Assist in the transportation or removal of furniture or equipment as necessary.
- Keep walkways clean from litter, snow, etc. (R.K. & Manor).
- Transport laundry and Lab work to St. Martha’s Hospital twice daily and provide other transportation and pickup services as requested with Nursing Home vehicle.
- Conduct or assist with Fire Drills as per Director’s request.
- Paint areas of the home upon request.
- Maintains all systems and auxiliary equipment such as boilers, generator, motors, ventilation, oxygen, hot water tanks, etc. through preventative maintenance.
- Must be trained in Confined Spaces and Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- Maintains storage in shed and resident storage.
- Assist with ground care i.e., mowing lawns, watering flowers, set up outdoor furniture, removal of snow, salting, etc (R.K. and Manor).
- On call for maintenance through use of a beeper and cell phone.
- Familiar with Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Annual in-servicing on WHMIS and Emergency Plan (Fire).
- Performs other related duties as requested by the Director or Supervisor.
- Keep Fire Protection Maintenance Log up to date.
Education, Training, Experience
Must have a valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License.
Good physical health, ability to work independently and with others, ability to follow verbal and written instructions, ability to learn the operation of equipment, ability to perform repetitive tasks, and ability to work in a warm congested area, ability to operate and run computerized maintenance monitoring system (Honeywell). Must be available to be on call, for after hour troubles and carry a cell phone.
Grade 12 Education. Must have a good working knowledge of janitorial, carpentry, painting, or boilers preferred. Any certificates in these areas are an asset. Minimum 2-5 years experience in a large building complex required.