Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Education Consultant
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE TO: Human Resource Coordinator
Scope of Position: Reporting to the Human Resource Coordinator, the Education Consultant is accountable to promote the attainment of clinical and service excellence at the R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home through the provision of education that focusses on the R.K. MacDonald’s Mission, Vision and Core Values as well as best and emerging practice in geriatric care. The Education Consultant also ensures that annual mandatory education is available to staff and supports Occupational Health and Safety, in collaboration with Senior Leaders to identify, organize and assist in the delivery of necessary education The essential functional areas of responsibility include identifying the ongoing educational needs of staff and coordinating and facilitating the provision of education to meet these needs.
In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Education Coordinator serves as a role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
- Coordinate the provision of Education Services that are Resident Centered and that support the Mission, Vision and Values of Home
- Works with Senior Leaders and staff to identify facility trends through the use of quality and safety indicators to purposefully plan and/or develop education to improve and address any knowledge or practice gaps
- Carries out needs assessment with staff and senior leaders on an annual basis to assist in yearly planning goals
- Develop yearly educational goals and objectives that support the Strategic plan of the Home
- Develop & annually review and revise Education policies & procedures
- Create an effective and encouraging learning environment
- To be visible and accessible to staff
- Build relationships with staff and assist them in identifying educational needs and opportunities
- Ensure the orientation and ongoing education of all staff of the Home
- Work with HR Coordinator to organize and implement an effective orientation program
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate training and educational programs based upon needs assessments conducted in each department
- Communicate information on workshops, professional meetings and in-services to all staff affected.
- Organize lectures, training manuals, visual aids, reference libraries, and other training material.
- Organizes and facilitate the supervision of the clinical orientation of new casual CCA and LPN staff.
- Participate in the education of all staff regarding policy and procedures.
- Coordinate management in-services and continuing education in the areas of professional development, labor negotiations, contract interpretation, and other areas as identified by the Management Team.
- Develop educational modules, using adult learning principles,
- Where necessary assists staff with necessary one on one education in regards to performance, or arranges same as deemed necessary by the Departmental Director.
- Accountable for Continuous Quality Improvement Initiatives in the Educational Department
- Establish systems to monitor effectiveness of educational programs
- Implement current trends in LTC by providing educational opportunities for staff
- Conduct surveys/audits to evaluate effectiveness of education
- Maintain statistics on employee participation in educational programs and make recommendations to managers on any additional areas of concern.
- Effectively manage the Educational Budget ensuring that the annual budget is not exceeded
- On an annual basis, identify and plan educational programs
- Conduct monthly review and analysis of departmental financial data
- Departmental inventory control
- Communication: through personal behavior and interactions, will consistently demonstrates a humanistic, affiliative approach to relationships:
- Within department, with other team members and with union representatives
- In all interactions, within and while representing the facility
- With all Residents and families
- While establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
- Maintain confidentiality with resident, staff, and all matters concerning the Home.
- Participates in Committees/teams as required
- Sits as a Chair of at least one organizational committee
- Leadership Roles
- Active participant on the leadership team
- Demonstrates integration of the Mission, Vision and Values into practice
- Participates in annual Strategic planning process
- Participates in Succession planning
- Acts as facilitator during the accreditation process
- Facilitates the development, implementation and evaluation of a Risk Management Program.
- Other duties as may be required by the Administrator/CEO/HR
Leadership Competencies Required
- Leading Others as demonstrated by the ability to establish focus, to provide motivational support, fostering teamwork, empowering others.
- Managing Change as indicated by the ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Managing Others as demonstrated by the ability to work with others to coach and mentor them to develop their capabilities
- Managing Performance as demonstrated by ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employee’s performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring feedback and addressing performance issue promptly.
- Communication as demonstrated by the ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed as well as the ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions, in writing and to be able to plan and deliver conversations that have an impact and persuade their intended audience.
- Interpersonal Awareness as demonstrated by the ability to notice, interpret and anticipate others concerns and feelings and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others
- Influence Others as demonstrated by the ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, objectives, projects and solutions
- Building Collaborative relationships as demonstrated by the ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships both internal and external to the facility
- Customer Service Orientation perspective as demonstrated by the respectful, positive manner in which one responds to expressed concerns and the strong desire to find resolution and meet people’s needs
- Information Gathering as demonstrated by the ability to identify information needed to clarify a situation and using skillful questioning to draw out information from reluctant sources
- Thinking abilities including analytical, forward, conceptual and strategic abilities to enable one to tackle a problem, anticipate implications and consequences, find effective solutions and planning for the future direction of the Home
- Initiative to identify what needs to be done and take action before being asked or the situation requires it
- Results oriented to enable one to focus on the desired results, sets challenging goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Thoroughness as demonstrated by ensuring that one’s own work, the work of employees and all information collected and shared is complete and accurate. Ensuring that commitments are fulfilled
- Decisiveness as demonstrated by the ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
- Self Confidence
- Stress management
- Personal Credibility
Competencies & Skills
- Demonstrated clinical nursing skills
- Knowledge of the principles of adult education, teaching learning processes and the ability to teach
- Knowledge and application of the concepts of professional staff development
- Ability to assess and identify the learning needs of staff and recommend appropriate educational programs to meet those needs
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate educational programs
- Demonstrated proficiency in the MS Office suite of programs
Instructor status in programs identified as mandatory education for staff such as CPR and CPI
- Proven capacity to manage sensitive information with professionalism and confidentiality
- Demonstrated leadership in a unionized environment
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required
- Minimum of three years clinical experience
- Teaching experience would be an asset