Competition #:440-12-09-03-21 Job Title: Senior Cook
Dept.: Dietary/Food Services Start Date: Immediately
Posted Date: September 3, 2021 Close Date: Open until filled
Reg/Temp: Temporary Full/Part: Casual
(Subject to change)
Applications are accepted until 4:00 PM on the Closing Date
The R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home is a Long Term Care Home to 137 Residents and employs 290 staff in various Departments.
Skills & Abilities required: (see Senior cook Job Description) http://www.rkmacdonald.ca/seniorcook
- Thorough knowledge of institutional food production, safety, and sanitation in food handling.
- Must be adept at reading, comprehending, and following complex dietary instructions, menus, and recipes.
- Sound comprehension and judgment, with the understanding of food handling and preparation practices and recipe adjusting.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Completion (Certificate) of a formal and practical training in food preparation from a recognized cooking school.
- 1-3 years practical experience. (Practical Experience in Long Term/Residential Care considered would be an asset)
- Must have Food Handlers Course.
- Journeyman papers (e.g. red seal) preferred.
- The work requires some functional supervision of Dietary Aides and 2nd Senior Cook on duty
- Accurate estimation of food needs and conversation of recipes for quantity food production, planning of menus, specials, and catering functions.
- The incumbent must be able to head off potential problems and deal with them effectively
- Work requires continuous walking, standing while preparing and serving meals required to lift up to 50 pounds with the help of another person.
- Regular and consistent attendance is essential.
Hours of Work
Hours – Days (6-4 pm)/ (7-5pm) (subject to change)
$21.3251 -23.0267(according to experience and papers)
Benefits/Pension Information NA for casuals
Hol/Vac pay as per Dept. of Labor standards for Casuals
Closing Statement Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview to be contacted. Interviews held within two weeks of closing date. These are UNIFOR bargaining unit positions. Preference given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. The R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. The R.K. MacDonald Nursing Home is an inclusive employer who supports diversity, equality, and reconciliation. Our goal is to be a workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We welcome people from all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, age, religion, and physical and mental abilities. Internal applicants to apply by using the Internal Application Form, External Applicants to submit cover letter and resume to: Jacqueline Delorey HR 902-863-2578 Ext.292 Fax: 902-863-4437 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Please refer to nursing home website for complete job posting www.rkmacdonald.ca