Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Administrative Assistant (Nursing)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Care
The Administrative Assistant (Nursing) provides clerical support for the Director of Care. Every employee of the RK Mac Donald Nursing Home has a responsibility to be involved in providing a stimulating environment for the residents. In keeping with our Mission, Vision and Values and our philosophy of Resident Centered Care, the Administrative Assistant (Nursing) serves as a positive role model; as a partner in the provision of care and support of our residents, and represents the home in a positive, professional, efficient and confidential manner.
This position requires excellence in office and organizational skills to ensure the efficiency of the office and an ability to maintain absolute confidentiality, sound judgment, and professionalism when dealing with sensitive issues associated with the day-day operations of this Long Term Care Home.
1. Provides confidential administrative and clerical support to the Director of Care:
- Responsible for the maintenance, including booking of meetings of the schedule/ calendar for DOC
- Meets daily with DOC to review appointments, schedules and daily requirements
- Screening incoming calls and demonstrates good judgement in prioritizing calls and messages
- Preparing & coordinating reports including but not limited to Licensing and Accreditation, typing of presentations, letters, and memos
- Photocopies and collates as projects /requests
- Perform general clerical duties including organizing, filing, shredding and photocopying documents and files, etc.
- Initiate process and track departmental forms such as purchase orders, supply requisitions, printing requests,
- Manage distribution of all incoming and outgoing mail; screen and respond as necessary. Assemble attachments and corresponding material. Review outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision
- Assists with the procurement and purchasing of supplies and equipment for the nursing department
2. Participates in the coordination of Case Conference
- Coordinates new Admission Case Conference with family and care team
- Responsible to deliver new admission information package to members of care team
- Schedules and notifies resident/family and all care partners for semi-annual case conference
3. Participates on internal/external committees as designated.
4. Ability to be a flexible positive team member that participates in cross training to assist in other Departments of the Home as needed, specifically for Scheduling Clerk and Administrative Assistant
5. Performs other duties as required.
Skills and Competencies
- Proven capacity to manage sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated exemplary interpersonal and communication (oral, written telephone) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly write, speak and interact professionally required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of Management and Staff, Residents, and families and have good interaction with Business and Community relations.
- Demonstrated competence to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency in composing professional communications, i.e., letters, emails, memos for internal or external use.
- Demonstrated expertise in the MS Office suite of programs, the Internet and email.
- Confirmed excellence in ability to prioritize projects and work and manage the unexpected.
- Proven effective and efficient organizational abilities, using self-direction and sound judgement to prioritize workload and to coordinate multiple and competing task demands and deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency to work in a fast paced environment with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with internal and external customers in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to devise or adopt office procedures to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to organize and coordinate functions and tasks, with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Well-organized and self-directed.
- Ability both to take initiative and follow-through.
- Graduate from a recognized Administrative Assistant Program.
- Experience in a health care setting preferred