Please note: This is not a job listing, this is a job description. For current opportunities click here.
POSITION: Administrative Assistant (Confidential)
RESPONSIBLE TO: CEO
The Administrative Assistant manages the Administrative Office and is the primary point of contact for everyone entering the Home. In keeping with the Resident Centered Philosophy of Care, the Administrative Assistant, as a partner in the provision of care and support of our Residents, represents the Home in a positive, professional, efficient, and confident manner, and serves as a primary source of relative information for all the people this position serves.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide a high standard of quality, professional, confidential, administrative support to the Board of Directors, the Foundation Board, the CEO, the Leadership Team, staff, residents, families and all external visitors and supporting agencies of the Home. This position requires excellence in office and organizational skills to ensure the efficiency of the office and an ability to maintain absolute confidentiality, sound judgment, and professionalism when dealing with sensitive issues associated with the day-day operations of this Long Term Care Home.
- Provides administrative and clerical support to the CEO, Leadership Team, & staff, and others as required: responsibilities may include, but not limited to, receiving and directing visitors, screening incoming calls and demonstrates good judgement in prioritizing calls and messages, managing calendars, making travel and meeting arrangements, preparing & coordinating reports including but not limited to Licensing and Accreditation, typing of presentations, letters, and memos, managing large letter merges and mail outs, collating/ circulations of information packages, updating brochures, policy and procedure manuals and a variety of other typing needs as necessary. Photocopies and collates as projects /requests and receives and distributes the Home’s and the Resident’s mail as per guidelines.
- Provides clerical support for the R.K. Board and the Foundation Board, in addition to the above, by processing license (lottery) applications, photocopying, recording and typing of
minutes, scheduling of meetings by ensuring a quorum, and prepares all materials necessary for all meetings of the Board (Regular & Annual).
- Maintains an accurate Resident Room list, and has a good knowledge of the day to day activities, the location of meetings, and location of CEO/Leaders and staff to ensure proper communication of information.
- Coordinates new Admission of an Resident with Resident and Family by providing and explaining the New Admission Information Package, giving a tour of the home, ensuring the Admission Checklist is circulated and completed , providing EMO Cards & Picture of new Admission and notifying all Department s of the new admission. In addition, also communicates any transfer or change to an Resident’s status to all Departments, DOHW, and Pharmacy.
- Responds to the Fire Panel Alarm, when activated, and performs duties as outlined in the Emergency Plan Manual.
- Promotes and maintains the safety of Residents, staff, and visitors as a strategic priority of the home.
- Participates in the care and support of Residents as time permits.
- Ensures confidentiality in the storage of Resident and Administration files/ documents. Ensures security, confidentiality, and organization, in maintaining a record storage room for all departments by receiving, storing, and ensuring timely destruction of all records as per Record Storage Policy.
- Maintains the telephone system administration by ensuring set up of new phones, voice mails, proper extension names, accurate extension lists, and that timely changes are made for automated attendant.
- Maintains House Keys by updating the Key Index and by ensuring the sign in and out of all keys.
- Ensures that required external licences i.e., Hairdressing Salon and Liquor Permit are updated.
- Responsible for answering the Senior Care Van Booking Line to coordinate pick up and transfer with clients and drivers and maintains information for billing purposes.
- Maintains and replenishes the office supplies/equipment for all Departments and records inventory as required.
- Participates on internal/external committees as designated.
- Participates in Facility Orientation with Student Placements.
- Ability to be a flexible positive team member that participates in cross training to assist in other Departments of the Home as needed.
- Receives and processes sealed tenders as required
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven capacity to manage sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated exemplary interpersonal and communication (oral, written telephone) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly write, speak and interact professionally required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of Management and Staff, Residents, and families and have good interaction with Business and Community relations.
- Demonstrated competence to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency in composing professional communications, i.e., letters, emails, memos for internal or external use.
- Demonstrated expertise in the MS Office suite of programs, the Internet and email.
- Confirmed excellence in ability to prioritize projects and work and manage the unexpected.
- Proven effective and efficient organizational abilities, using self-direction and sound judgement to prioritize workload and to coordinate multiple and competing task demands and deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency to work in a fast paced environment with strong attention to detail.
- Graduate from a recognized Administrative Assistant Program.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Senior Administrative position.